Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Forest Glen

I thought I would write about where I live, because it's a pretty interesting place. It's now called the National Park Seminary. I'll give some history of it another time, but essentially it was an abandoned school campus from the late 1800s.


The land contains a lot of interesting buildings, including a Japanese pagoda, a Dutch Windmill, a Spanish Villa, and a small castle. Many of the statues scattered around the grounds are still there as well.


This is the abandoned Spanish Villa. In the foreground are stones stairs and a well. I love how you can still see the landscaping, now overgrown and wild. You can even pick out the same pines from this old picture.




This is one of the large statues on the property, probably my favorite one. It's back faces an old road that I like to walk down. Songbirds feed on the road, hawks hunt along it, and deer, foxes and raccoons live in the nearby woods. It is a good place to look for wildlife.



You can see how large and impressive the statue is from this old picture. It's size makes very surreal and a little creepy as it looms over the shrubs and stares into the woods. This place is melancholy. It feels like something out of Lord of the Rings or Hellboy.


More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment